Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Frequently Asked ASP.Net Questions

. How can I return the Name and User of the person currently logged in?
. How can I 'auto-select' a Gridview Row when editing?
. Why is my button event firing twice?
. Should I uninstall VS.Net 2005 before installing VS.Net 2008?
. How can I fix the error that tells me "SQL Server does not allow remote connections"?
. Is it possible to use Visual Web Developer 2005 with .NET 3.0?
. How can I speed up my application in the Production environment?
. How can I turn on/off tracing for my entire site/application?
. How can I persist a DataTable in memory?
. How can I get the referring page, to use the link within my web page?

. How can I use the Session Object in my code behind (or Partial class)?
. How can I access controls on the Master Page, from my Content Pages?
. How can I nest Master Pages?
. How can I Delete projects from VS.Net 2005 Start Page?
. What is the Difference between Server.Transfer and Response.Redirect
. In v2.0, how can I refer to the ConnectionStrings section like I did the AppSettings section?
. Why won't 'DataFormatString' work in my BoundField?
. In ASP.Net 2.0, how can you set focus on a particular control?
. How can you set a theme for an entire web site?
. How do I convert the text in a TextBox to Upper Case, as I type?

. Is it possible to have more than one Validator for a single ASP.Net Server Control?
. Why isn't my ExecuteNonQuery updating my database?
. Why isn't my (ItemStyle/HeaderStyle) tag properties working correctly?
. What's the difference between a Placeholder and a Panel?
. How can I limit a textbox to ONLY numeric characters?
. What is 'Server.MapPath'?
. Is it possible to use @@Identity with MS Access?
. Why am I getting the error -
. How can I add a 'Friendly' name to my ASP.Net email To and From Properties?
. Why won't my Access Update statement update the database, but won't give me an error?

. Can ASP and ASP.Net share session variables?
. How can I set focus on an ASP.Net TextBox Control when the page loads?
. How do you compare two dates in code?
. How can I loop through either all or certain types of controls on a page?
. How can I use Javascript to set focus in a particular ASP.Net text box?
. How can I access an MS Access database in my ASPX page, if the db is on a remote server?
. How can I check a DataSet to see if it's empty?
. Why does text from a MultiLine TextBox display in only one line when I know there are Line feeds?
. How can I disable a button to keep away multiple clicking?
. How can I change MSDE's Authentication Mode?

. What do I need to get started with ASP.Net?
. Why am I getting the error: "Type '(OleDb or SQL)Connection' is not defined."
. Why is all the data retrieved in one line, with no line breaks?
. Can I use ODBC with ASP.Net?
. How do I open a new form up eg. on a button's click event?
. How can I check a DataReader to see if it's empty, before displaying?
. Why won't my selected item trigger the event for my DropDownList
. Why am I getting the error, 'Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement'?
. Why do I always get an error that says 'Login Failed' when trying to connect to SQLServer/MSDE?
. Can I still use Server.Mappath with ASP.Net?

. Why am I getting an 'AllowCustomPaging must be true and VirtualItemCount must be set for a DataGrid with ID MyDataGrid when AllowPaging is set to true and the selected datasource does not implement ICollection' Error?
. Why am I getting an error - "Operation must use an updateable query"?
. Why do my listbox or dropdownlist items show up as 'System.Data.Comm.DbDataRecord Error'?
. How do I select a specific item in a DropDownList?
. Why aren't my ASP.Net Server Controls showing up on my ASPX pages?
. How do I select a specific item in a ListBox?
. Why won't my dropdownlist or listbox selected item remain set when the page posts back?
. Where is the best place to store global Database connections?

Answers goto ...
http://aspnet101.com/aspnet101/faq.aspx

ASP.Net Feeds